Shaving or not waxing, that’s the question. There are many debates related to this topic and for this reason many women do not know what to do. Do they let it grow or do they completely shave the genital hair? The first ones indicate that it protects them from diseases, and the second ones say that they do it for aesthetic reasons.
Is it bad to remove or pluck the genital hair? In this article we share important information so you can make the right decision for your case.
The functions of pubic hair
While the body has left nothing to chance at the time of creation, many women (and more and more men) decide to shave or shave. To be able to make a decision in relation to removing pubic hair is necessary to be well informed.
To begin with, hair in this area fulfills several functions, among which we highlight:
- Creates a barrier to prevent bacteria or external viruses from causing infections or diseases.
- It allows the female genital organs are always in a pleasant and adequate temperature to ensure its proper functioning.
- It retains the personal aroma (created by pheromones) that transmit sexual signals to stimulate the couple’s libido.
- Prevents irritation of the genital area during sexual intercourse, as rubbing can cause redness and discomfort.
Reasons why you do not pluck your pubic hair
Are you still not entirely convinced of whether or not you want to leave your genital hair? You should pay attention to these reasons to convince yourself that it would be best to leave them as they are (or, simply, cut them a bit):
1. The skin suffers
First, removing pubic hair inflames and irritates the hair follicles. In addition, it can leave open wounds (which are not visible to the naked eye) annoying and painful. Constant hair removal also causes painful ingrown hairs and burns, in the case of using wax. If, on the other hand, shaver or epilator is used, it can cause cuts.
We must also take into account skin conditions. Psoriasis or eczema may be aggravated by hair removal. If you suffer from any of these skin disorders, it is better to consult a doctor to find out which method to remove the hair recommends. Otherwise, you could aggravate the situation and suffer a lot of discomfort or pain.
2. Accelerates the proliferation of bacteria
Waxing with hot wax (also known as the Spanish system) is one of the most damaging to the pubic area. This method causes redness and weakening of the pores.
When this is combined with the humidity and temperature of the area, it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and group A streptococci. And if there is no hair, we can not stop them from entering the body!
3. More chances of suffering from herpes and HPV
This study conducted between 2011 and 2012 in France makes a negative assessment of intimate hair removal. It shows that those shaved women are more likely to suffer from genital herpes. When they are shaved and cause injuries, the organism is exposed to the virus that causes this sexually transmitted disease.
Por otro lado, el virus del papiloma humano ha proliferado de manera acelerada. Esta enfermedad se transmite en muchos casos sin que las personas se enteren (porque no tiene síntomas automáticos) o por la falta de información. No obstante, el hecho de que los adultos se depilen incrementa bastante la posibilidad de contagio.
4. Fashions, fashions are
Do not forget that this type of hair removal is a trend among women and that it offers work to many clinics. However, you do not have to do it just for fashion or because you think that if others do it you should also.
If you do not feel comfortable or it hurts too much, you better stay as you are. You are always in time to change your mind or evaluate other options.
In addition, we must take into account that we will not increase our hygiene by shaving. The bad smell does not have to do with the amount of hair on the genitals, but with personal hygiene.
Neither is it an aphrodisiac!
It is true that many women feel more sure of themselves when they are shaved and therefore have a better time in sex. However, intimate satisfaction goes beyond the amount of hair you have.
It also depends on the couple. Many men like girls who wax completely. However, there are also many who prefer them to the natural, that is, with their attributes intact.
Tips for shaved genitals
It may be that nothing you’ve read so far has convinced you not to take off your pubic hair because you feel very comfortable without it. No problem! Of course, we recommend some good habits for this decision to cause the least possible consequences.
During hair removal
- Depila little by little: If you have never taken off your genital hair it is advisable that you start step by step. This way you will suffer less pain or side effects. Start cutting with scissors and then pass the shaver or wax.
- Pay attention to the irritation: It does not matter what method you have chosen to remove your genital hair. Do not leave out the effects on the skin. If it is very red, burns or bothers, put on a good moisturizer. See if there are reddish hairs.
- Analyze how you feel: You may have taken the decision to shave completely because your partner asked for it, you go on vacation or you want to try something different. Compare your sensations with those you had when you still had the hair.
- Wear cotton underwear: Discard certain materials such as lycra. Also do not opt for very tight clothing (including pants). Use skirts or loose dresses and be careful with the bikini.
- Do not sunbathe in the area: You may have shaved completely because your swimsuit is tiny or summer has started. However, it is not advisable that during the first days after shaving or using the wax the sun comes in contact with the area. Avoid irritation and redness with a high protection factor.